Remove the air baffle
Follow instructions in this section to remove the air baffle.
About this task
Hazardous energy present. Voltages with hazardous energy might cause heating when shorted with metal, which might result in spattered metal, burns, or both.
- Make preparation for the task.
- If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack. See Remove the server from rack.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- If there is a RAID flash power module installed on the air baffle, disconnect the cable of the RAID flash power module.
- If there is an M.2 drive installed on the air baffle, disconnect M.2 backplane cables from the M.2 backplane.
- If there is a GPU installed on the air baffle, remove the GPU. See Remove a GPU adapter.
- Grasp the air baffle and carefully lift it out of the chassis.AttentionFor proper cooling and airflow, reinstall the air baffle before you turn on the server. Operating the server with the air baffle removed might damage server components.Figure 1. Removing the air baffle
- (Optional) Remove the fillers from the air baffle if you are using performance heat sinks and need to change to 2U standard heat sinks.Figure 2. Removing the air baffle filler
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.