Remove the 3.5-inch simple-swap drive backplate
Follow instructions in this section to remove the 3.5-inch simple-swap drive backplate.
About this task
- S002CAUTIONThe power-control button on the device and the power switch on the power supply do not turn off the electrical current supplied to the device. The device also might have more than one power cord. To remove all electrical current from the device, ensure that all power cords are disconnected from the power source.
Read the Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and all external cables (see Power off the server).
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack.
Remove any locking device that secures the server cover, such as a Kensington lock or a pad lock.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Remove the server cover (see Remove the server cover).
- Remove the front door (see Remove the front door).
- Remove the front bezel (see Remove the front bezel).
- Remove all of the installed simple-swap drives and drive bay fillers from the drive cage and set them aside on a static-protective surface (see Remove a simple-swap drive or Remove a 2.5-inch drive from a 3.5-inch drive bay).
- Remove the system fan (see Remove the front system fan).
- Disconnect the cables from the backplate.AttentionFollow the instructions below to disconnect the cable from the SATA hard disk drive connector (especially SATA hard disk drive
4 and 5 connectors):
Figure 1. Disconnecting the cable from the SATA hard disk drive connector
Press on the sides of the connector on the cable with your thumb and middle finger.
Release the latch with your index finger as illustrated.
Carefully pull the cable out of the connector on the system board.
- Remove the drive cage from the chassis (see Remove the 3.5-inch/2.5-inch drive cage).NoteDepending on the model, your drive cage might look slightly different from the illustration.
- Remove the simple-swap drive backplate.
Figure 2. Removing the simple-swap drive backplate
- Pull out the blue plunger that secures the backplate.
- Slightly lift the backplate to disengage it from the drive cage.
- Remove the backplate from the drive cage.
After this task is completed
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.