Install the heat sink and the fan module (trained technician only)
Follow this procedure to install the heat sink and the fan module. This procedure must be executed by a trained technician.
About this task
Read Safety inspection checklist and Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Touch the static-protective package that contains the component to any unpainted metal surface on the server; then, remove it from the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Install the processor if one is not yet installed. See Install the processor (trained technician only).
- Align the four screws on the heat sink and fan assembly with the corresponding screw holes on the system board. Make sure the fan cable is close to the heat sink fan connector, see System board components.
- Tighten screw 1 and 2 first, then tighten screw 3 and 4.
- Partially tighten screw 1.
- Fully tighten screw 2.
- Fully tighten screw 1.
- Partially tighten screw 3.
- Fully tighten screw 4.
- Fully tighten screw 3.
Do not touch the thermal grease while handling the heat sink and fan module.
Tightening the screws on the heat sink and fan module for processor with TDP lower than 95WFigure 1. Tightening the screws on the heat sink and fan module for processor with TDP lower than 95W
Tightening the screws on the heat sink and fan module for processor with 95W TDPFigure 2. Tightening the screws on the heat sink and fan module for processor with 95W TDP
- If the server is installed with processor with 95W TDP, the heat sink fan should be installed on the rear side of the chassis. Align the four fan screws to the screw holes on the rear side of the chassis, and fasten the screws to secure it.Figure 3. Installing the heat sink fan to the rear of the chassis
- Connect the heat sink fan cable to the system board, see Internal cable routing.
If necessary, reinstall the optical drive cage, see Install the optical drive cage.
Proceed to complete the parts replacement, see Complete the parts replacement.