Install the power distribution board
Use this information to install the power distribution board.
About this task
Make sure you have the required tools listed below in hand to properly replace the component.
Water loop kits
SD650 V3 Water loop service kit
Conduction plate parts (only damaged parts need to be replaced)
M.2 Putty pad kit
Drive gap pad or putty pad kits according to the drives installed in the tray. See their respective replacement procedures for more information.
ConnectX series adapter putty pad kits according to the ConnectX adapter installed in the tray. See their respective replacement procedures for more information.
Screws and screwdriversPrepare the following screwdrivers to ensure you can install and remove corresponding screws properly.
Screwdriver Type Screw Type Torx T10 head screwdriver Torx T10 screw Torx T30 head screwdriver Torx T30 screw Phillips #1 head screwdriver Phillips #1 screw Phillips #2 head screwdriver Phillips #2 screw
To identify the gap pad/putty pad location and orientation, see Gap pad/Putty pad identification and location.
Before replacing the gap pad/putty pad, gently clean the interface plate or the hardware surface with an alcohol cleaning pad.
Hold the gap pad/putty pad carefully to avoid deformation. Make sure no screw hole or opening is blocked by the gap pad/putty pad material.
Do not use expired putty pad. Check the expiry date on putty pad package. If the putty pads are expired, acquire new ones to properly replace them.
Go to Drivers and Software download website for ThinkSystem SD650 V3 to see the latest firmware and driver updates for your server.
Go to Update the firmware for more information on firmware updating tools.
- Install the power distribution board.
- Tilt the power distribution board and align it with the hole; then, slide it into place.
- Gently push the power distribution board connector to ensure it is connected to the system board.
- Fasten the five Phillips #1 screws.
Use a 3/16" hex head screwdriver to ensure the proper removal and installation.Figure 1. Power distribution board installation
- Check the gap pads on the water loop, if any of them are damaged or detached, replace them with the new ones.Figure 2. Water loop gap pads
Make sure to follow Gap pad/putty pad replacement guidelines.
- Carefully rotate the top side of the water loop, position the water loop on the two guide pins near the rear of the node; then, gently put the water loop down and ensure it is firmly seated on the system board.Figure 3. Water loop installation
- Ensure the processors are secured properly.
NoteFor reference, the torque required for the screws to be fully tightened/removed is 10+/- 2.0 lbf-in, 1.1+/- 0.2 N-m.AttentionTo prevent damage to components, make sure that you follow the indicated tightening sequence.Figure 4. Processors installation
- Rotate the anti-tilt wire bails (8x anti-tilt wire bails per node) outwards to the locked position.
- Fully tighten all Torx T30 captive screws (8x Torx T30 captive screws per node) on cold plates with a general screwdriver until they stop, following the installation sequence shown on the cold plate label.
- Loosen water loop carrier screws (12x Phillips #2 screws per node).Figure 5. Loosening water loop carrier screws
- Carefully lift the water loop carrier up and away from the water loop.Figure 6. Water loop carrier removal
- Install water loop screws (9x Torx T10 screws per node) with a torque screwdriver set to the proper torque.NoteFor reference, the torque required for the screws to be fully tightened/removed is 5.0+/- 0.5 lbf-in, 0.55+/- 0.05 N-M.Figure 7. Water loop screws installation
- Install the following screws to secure the quick connect.
Figure 8. Quick connect screw installation
Two Torx T10 screws (per node) on the quick connect.
Five Torx T10 screws (per node) on the rear of the node.
- Install the VR clamp plate into the node and install Torx T10 screws (2x Torx T10 screw per nods).Figure 9. VR clamp plate installation
Install the memory modules. See Install a memory module.
Install the DIMM comb. See Install a DIMM comb.
Install the M.2 backplane assembly. See Install the M.2 backplane assembly.
Install the drive cage. See Install a drive cage assembly.
Install the PCIe riser assembly. See Install a PCIe riser assembly (ConnectX-6) , PCIe riser assembly replacement (ConnectX-7 NDR 200), or Install a PCIe riser assembly (ConnectX-7 NDR 400).
Install the cross braces. See Install the cross braces.
Install the tray cover. See Install the tray cover.
Install the tray into the enclosure. See Install a DWC tray in the enclosure.
- Connect all required external cables to the solution.NoteUse extra force to connect QSFP cables to the solution.
Check the power LED on each node to make sure it changes from fast blink to slow blink to indicate all nodes are ready to be powered on.