Remove the air baffle
Follow instructions in this section to remove the air baffle.
About this task
Hazardous energy present. Voltages with hazardous energy might cause heating when shorted with metal, which might result in spattered metal, burns, or both.
Hazardous moving fan blades nearby. Keep fingers and other body parts away.
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Watch the procedure
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
The illustrated air baffle is the standard air baffle. The removal procedure is the same for the GPU air baffle.
- Make preparation for the task.
- If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack. See Remove the server from rack.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- If there is a RAID flash power module installed on the air baffle, disconnect the cable of the RAID flash power module.
- Grasp the air baffle and carefully lift it out of the chassis.AttentionFor proper cooling and airflow, reinstall the air baffle before you turn on the server. Operating the server with the air baffle removed might damage server components.Figure 1. Removing the air baffle
- (Optional) Remove the fillers from the air baffle if you are using performance heat sinks and need to change to 2U standard heat sinks.Figure 2. Removing the air baffle filler
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.