Install the front 3.5-inch drive backplane
Follow instructions in this section to install the front 3.5-inch drive backplane.
About this task
8 x 3.5-inch SAS/SATA backplane
12 x 3.5-inch SAS/SATA backplane
12 x 3.5-inch AnyBay backplane
12 x 3.5-inch SAS/SATA expander backplane
The following uses the 3.5-inch SAS/SATA 12-bay backplane as an example for illustration. The procedure is the same for the other backplanes.
To avoid damage to the drive connectors, make sure that the server top cover is in place and fully closed whenever you install or remove a drive.
To make sure that there is adequate system cooling, do not operate the server for more than two minutes without either a drive or a drive bay filler installed in each bay.
Before you make changes to drives, drive controllers (including controllers that are integrated on the system board assembly), drive backplanes, or drive cables, back up all important data that is stored on drives.
Go to Drivers and Software download website for ThinkSystem SR665 V3 to see the latest firmware and driver updates for your server.
Go to Update the firmware for more information on firmware updating tools.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the new part to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the new part out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Install the 3.5-inch drive backplane.Figure 1. Installing the 3.5-inch drive backplaneNoteDepending on the specific type, your backplane might look different from the illustration.
- Align the backplane with the chassis and lower it into the chassis. Then, put the backplane into place with it leaning backward slightly.
- Rotate the backplane to vertical position to ensure that the four hooks on the chassis pass through the corresponding holes in the backplane. Then, slide the new backplane as shown until it is secured into place.
- Connect the cables to the drive backplane. See Internal cable routing.
After you finish