Remove an M.2 drive
Follow instructions in this section to remove an M.2 drive.
About this task
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
Before you remove or make changes to drives, drive controllers (including controllers that are integrated on the system board assembly), drive backplanes or drive cables, back up all important data that is stored on drives.
Before you remove any component of a RAID array (drive, RAID card, etc.), back up all RAID configuration information.
- If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack. See Remove the server from rack.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Remove the M.2 drive.Figure 1. Removing the M.2 drive
- Press both sides of the retainer 2.
- Slide the retainer away from the M.2 drive.
- Rotate the rear end of M.2 drive to an angle of approximately 30 degrees.
- Pull the M.2 drive away from the connector 1.
After you finish
Install a new M.2 drive. See Install an M.2 drive.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.