Remove the system fan cage
Follow instructions in this section to remove the system fan cage.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack. See Remove the server from rack.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- (Optional) If you are replacing the system fan cage, remove all system fans first. See Remove a system fan.NoteIf you are removing the system fan cage to access other components, you can remove it with the system fans installed.
- Remove the system fan cage.Figure 1. Removing the system fan cage
- Rotate the levers of the system fan cage to the rear of the server.
- Lift the system fan cage straight up and out of the chassis.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.