Install the M.2 adapter and M.2 drive
Use this information to install the M.2 adapter and M.2 drive.
Read Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
A video for this task is available at YouTube
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the new M.2 adapter and M.2 drive to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the new M.2 adapter and M.2 drive out of the package and place them on a static-protective surface. Note
The M.2 adapter is shipped with a loose screw, but the screw is not necessarily used for the installation.
The M.2 adapter you want to install might be different from the following illustrations, but the installation method is the same.
- Adjust the retainer on the M.2 adapter to accommodate the particular size of the M.2 drive you wish to install. See Adjust the retainer on the M.2 adapter.
- Locate the connector on the M.2 adapter.Note
Some M.2 adapters support two identical M.2 drives. Install the M.2 drive in slot 0 first.Figure 1. M.2 drive slot
- 1 Slot 0
- 2 Slot 1
- Install the M.2 adapter into the M.2 tray.Figure 2. M.2 adapter installation
- Open the retention clip on the air baffle.
- Insert the M.2 adapter at an angle of approximately 30 degrees into the tray as shown.
- Rotate the M.2 adapter downward until it snaps into place.
- Install the M.2 drive on the M.2 adapter.Figure 3. M.2 drive installation
- Insert the M.2 drive at an angle of approximately 30 degrees into the connector.
- Rotate the M.2 drive down until the notch 1 catches on the lip of the retainer 2.
- Slide the retainer forward (toward the connector) to secure the M.2 drive into place.
- Connect the cables to the system board. See M.2 drives.
After you finish
Use the Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager to configure the RAID. For more information, see the
RAID Setup section in the LXPM documentation compatible with your server atLenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager portal page.