Remove an M.2 drive
Follow the instructions in this section to remove an M.2 drive.
About this task
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top covers, or remove the server from the rack. See Remove the server from rails.
- Remove the front top cover. See Remove the front top cover.
- Remove the M.2 drive.Figure 1. Removing M.2 drive
- Pinch and hold on the retainer clip.
- Slide the retainer backward to loosen the M.2 drive from the M.2 boot adapter.
- Pivot the rear side of the M.2 drive away from the M.2 boot adapter.
- Pull the M.2 drive away from the slot at an angle of approximately 30 degrees.
After you finish
Adjust the retainer on the M.2 boot adapter to accommodate the particular size of the M.2 drive you wish to install. See Adjust the retainer on the M.2 boot adapter.
Install a replacement unit. See Install an M.2 drive.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.