Install the water loop
Use this information to install the water loop in the SD665 V3 tray.
About this task
Make sure you have the required tools listed below in hand to properly replace the component.
SD665 V3 Water Loop Service Kit (The water loop carrier in the Service Kit is reusable, it is recommended to keep it at the facility where the server operates for future replacement needs.)
SD665 V3 Water Loop Putty Pad Kit
VR Conduction Plate 12.4 (including washers)
VR 1.5mm Putty Pad
VR 2.5 mm Putty Pad
Drive gap pad or putty pad kits according to the drives installed in the tray. See their respective replacement procedures for more information.
ConnectX series adapter putty pad kits according to the ConnectX adapter installed in the tray. See their respective replacement procedures for more information.
Screws and screwdriversPrepare the following screwdrivers to ensure you can install and remove corresponding screws properly.
Screwdriver Type Screw Type Torx T10 head screwdriver Torx T10 screw Torx T20 head screwdriver Torx T20 screw Phillips #2 head screwdriver Phillips #2 screw
Turn off the corresponding DWC tray that you are going to perform the task on.
Disconnect all external cables from the enclosure.
Use extra force to disconnect QSFP cables if they are connected to the solution.
To avoid damaging the water loop, always use the water loop carrier when removing, installing or folding the water loop.
To identify the gap pad/putty pad location and orientation, see Gap pad/Putty pad identification and location.
Before replacing the gap pad/putty pad, gently clean the interface plate or the hardware surface with an alcohol cleaning pad.
Hold the gap pad/putty pad carefully to avoid deformation. Make sure no screw hole or opening is blocked by the gap pad/putty pad material.
Do not use expired putty pad. Check the expiry date on putty pad package. If the putty pads are expired, acquire new ones to properly replace them.
Go to Drivers and Software download website for ThinkSystem SD665 V3 to see the latest firmware and driver updates for your server.
Go to Update the firmware for more information on firmware updating tools.
- If you are installing a new water loop to the tray, before starting to install the water loop, complete replacing the VR conduction plate first, see Install the VR conduction plate for water loop replacement. If you are reinstalling the water loop after replacing the system board, processor, or power distribution board, skip this step.
- When removing the water loop from the package box, make sure to hold the touch points marked in grey in the illustration below.AttentionHolding the water loop anywhere other than the touch points may cause damage to it.Figure 1. Touching points when removing water loop from package box
Top image Isometric view of water loop Bottom image Top view of the water loop
- If needed, remove plastic grease covers from the underside of processor cold plates.Figure 2. Plastic grease covers removal
- Fully loosen four captive thumbscrews on the water loop carrier.Figure 3. Loosening water loop carrier captive thumbscrews
- Check the both gap pads and putty pads on the bottom side and top side of the water loop, if any of them are damaged, missing, or fallen off the water loop, replace them with new ones. Make sure to follow Gap pad/putty pad replacement guidelines.Figure 4. Water loop gap pads (bottom side)Figure 5. Water loop gap pads (top side)Figure 6. Water loop putty pads
- Install the one side of the water loop.
AttentionKeep the water loop at an upright position to prevent damaging the system board.Figure 7. Water loop carrier installation
- Carefully hold the water loop with both hands and flip it.
- Carefully position the water loop onto the three guide pins, one near the front of the node and two near the rear of the node; then, gently lower down the water loop and ensure it is seated firmly on the system board.
- Unfold and install the other side of the water loop as shown.AttentionMake sure to align the water loop with the three guide pins on the left side compute node.Figure 8. Guide pins on the left side compute nodeFigure 9. Unfolding water loopNote
Do not tilt the water loop. Keep the water loop horizontal with the tray.
- Install processor cold plate screws (12x Torx T20 screws per node). Follow the screw sequence specified on the processor cold plate label and tighten the screws with a general screwdriver. Fully tighten each screw; then, proceed to the next screw.NoteFor reference, the torque required for the screws to be fully tightened/removed is 1.12-1.46 newton-meters, 10-13 inch-poundsFigure 10. Processor cold plate installationFully tighten each screw the order below:
Processor Screw sequence A B C D
- Loosen water loop carrier screws (24x Phillips #2 screws for two nodes).NoteThe screw holes on the rear of the carrier are marked with
L and R. Select screw holes marked as L when the carrier is on the left node, and R for the right node.Figure 11. Loosening water loop carrier screws
- Remove the water loop carrier. Carefully lift each water loop carrier up and away from the water loop one at a time.Figure 12. Water loop carrier removal
- Install water loop screws and quick connect screws (14x Torx T10 screws per node) with a torque screwdriver set to the proper torque.Note
Figure 13. VR cold plate screws with washersFigure 14. Water loop screws and quick connect screws installation
For reference, the torque required for the screws to be fully tightened/removed is 5.0+/- 0.5 lbf-in, 0.55+/- 0.05 N-M.
Install the 1 VR cold plate screws (x2) with washers.
Installing a new water loop:
Use the washers previously removed from the defect water loop. If there were no washers on the VR cold plate originally, use the washers in VR Conduction Plate 12.4 (including washers).
Reinstalling the water loop:
You may not be installing a new water loop, but is reinstalling the water loop after replacing the system board, processor, or power distribution board. In this case, use the washers previously removed from the water loop. If there were no washers on the VR cold plate originally, it is not required to install VR cold plate with washers.
- Install the ten Torx T10 screws to secure the quick connect.Figure 15. Quick connect screw installation
Install the PCIe riser assembly. See Install a PCIe riser assembly (ConnectX-6) , Install a PCIe riser assembly (ConnectX-7 NDR 200), or Install a PCIe riser assembly (ConnectX-7 NDR 400).
Install the drive cage. See Install a drive cage assembly.
Install the M.2 backplane assembly. See Install the M.2 backplane assembly.
Install the memory modules. See Install a memory module.
Install the DIMM comb. See Install a DIMM comb.
Install the cross braces. See Install the cross braces.
Install the tray cover. See Install the tray cover.
Install the tray into the enclosure. See Install a DWC tray in the enclosure.
- Connect all required external cables to the solution.NoteUse extra force to connect QSFP cables to the solution.
Check the power LED on each node to make sure it changes from fast blink to slow blink to indicate all nodes are ready to be powered on.