Remove a memory module
Use this information to remove a memory module.
About this task
When removing/installing the memory module, do not tilt the memory module and keep it at an upright position to prevent damaging the gap pad.
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the corresponding DWC tray that you are going to perform the task on.
Disconnect all external cables from the enclosure.
Use extra force to disconnect QSFP cables if they are connected to the solution.
Memory modules are sensitive to static discharge and require special handling. In addition to the standard guidelines for Handling static-sensitive devices:
Always wear an electrostatic-discharge strap when removing or installing memory modules. Electrostatic-discharge gloves can also be used.
Never hold two or more memory modules together so that they touch. Do not stack memory modules directly on top of each other during storage.
Never touch the gold memory module connector contacts or allow these contacts to touch the outside of the memory-module connector housing.
Handle memory modules with care: never bend, twist, or drop a memory module.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Remove the tray from the enclosure. See Remove a DWC tray from the enclosure.
- Remove the tray cover. See Remove the tray cover.
- Remove the memory module tool attached to the DIMM comb.Figure 2. Memory module tool removalNoteMemory module tool is recommended due to space limitations caused by location of water loop tubes through the memory section.
- Remove the DIMM cover.Figure 3. DIMM cover removal
- Carefully use the memory module tool to press the retaining clips outward on each end of the memory module connector.Figure 4. Pressing retaining clips on memory module connectorAttention
Memory modules are static-sensitive devices. The package must be grounded before it is opened.
To avoid breaking the retaining clips or damaging the memory module connectors, open and close the clips gently.
- Carefully remove the memory module.Attention
When removing/installing the memory module, do not tilt the memory module and keep it at an upright position to prevent damaging the gap pad.Figure 5. Memory module removal
- Install the DIMM cover.Figure 6. DIMM cover installation
- Install the memory module tool to the DIMM comb on the left side of the node.Figure 7. Memory module tool installation
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.