Install the RAID adapter
Use this information to install the RAID adapter.
Read Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
- If the compute node is installed in a chassis, remove it (see Remove a compute node for instructions).
- Carefully lay the compute node on a flat, static-protective surface, orienting the compute node with the bezel pointing toward you.
Remove the compute node cover (see Remove the compute node cover for instructions).
If a drive backplane is installed in the compute node that is not compatible with the RAID adapter, remove it (see Remove a 2.5-inch drive backplane for instructions).
If you are installing both the RAID adapter and drive backplane, first install the drive backplane in the compute node (see Install a 2.5-inch drive backplane for instructions). The drive backplane goes in the rear alignment slots on the storage cage.NoteAll drive backplanes use the same type of connector on the system board; however, there are two alignment slots in the storage cage to accommodate different backplane types. Make sure that you align the backplane and system board connectors when inserting the backplane in the storage cage.Figure 1. Drive backplane installation
To install the RAID adapter, complete the following steps:
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the RAID adapter to an unpainted metal surface on any grounded rack component; then, remove the adapter from the package.NoteFor the ThinkSystem RAID 930-4i-2GB 4 Drive Adapter Kit, make sure that the flash power module is installed before installing the adapter in the compute node (see
Install the flash power module for instructions).
- If interposer card is installed in the compute node, remove the cable from the clip on the side of the storage cage. This provides more space for connecting the cable to RAID adapter in the next step.
- Carefully turn the RAID adapter over in your hand to access the underside; then, connect the cable from interposer card to RAID adapter. The connector is keyed. Press the cable into the connector until the connector snaps in place.Figure 2. Connecting cable to RAID adapter
- Locate the RAID adapter connector on the drive backplane.
- Two consecutive sub-steps to orient the RAID adapter with the connector:
Figure 3. RAID adapter installation
- Angle RAID adapter as shown and slide flash power module under top side of compute node front panel.
- Carefully orient the connector on the underside of the RAID adapter with the connector on the top side of the drive backplane; then, insert the plastic post into the RAID adapter supporter.
Table 1. RAID adapter and related component 1 RAID adapter 2 RAID adapter supporterNoteIf the RAID adapter supporter is damaged, you need to order a miscellaneous kit to have a new one.
- Firmly press on the foam to seat the RAID adapter into the connector.Figure 4. Pressing the foam
- Route cable back into the cable clip if the cable was removed earlier.Figure 5. Routing the cable back into clip
Install any removed drives and drive bay fillers (see Install a 2.5-inch hot-swap drive for instructions).NoteInstall drives in the same bay as from which they were removed.
- Install the compute node cover on the compute node (see Install the compute node cover for instructions).
- Install the compute node into the chassis (see Install a compute node for instructions).
- Configure the RAID array using the Setup utility configuration.