Install the front 3.5-inch drive backplane
Use this information to install the front 3.5-inch drive backplane.
About this task
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the backplane to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the backplane out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Connect the cables to the backplane. See 2.5-inch/3.5-inch drive backplane (power) and 2.5-inch/3.5-inch drive backplane (signal).
- Put the backplane down into place. Figure 1. Installation of backplane for four 3.5-inch hot-swap drives
- Put the backplane under the front I/O assembly cables, align it with the chassis, and lower it into the chassis. Put the backplane into place with it leaning backward slightly so that the three pins 1 on the chassis pass through the three holes 2 in the backplane.
- Close the release latches to secure the backplane in place.
- Connect the cables to the system board or expansion slots. See 2.5-inch/3.5-inch drive backplane (power) and 2.5-inch/3.5-inch drive backplane (signal).