Install a memory module
Use this information to install a memory moduleM.
Disconnect all power cords for this task.
- Memory modules are sensitive to static discharge and require special handling. In addition to the standard guidelines for Handling static-sensitive devices:
Always wear an electrostatic-discharge strap when removing or installing memory modules. Electrostatic-discharge gloves can also be used.
Never hold two or more memory modules together so that they touch. Do not stack memory modules directly on top of each other during storage.
Never touch the gold memory module connector contacts or allow these contacts to touch the outside of the memory module connector housing.
Handle memory modules with care: never bend, twist, or drop a memory module.
Do not use any metal tools (such as jigs or clamps) to handle the memory modules, because the rigid metals may damage the memory modules.
Do not insert memory modules while holding packages or passive components, which can cause package cracks or detachment of passive components by the high insertion force.
Touch the static-protective package that contains the new memory module to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the new memory module out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
Locate the required memory module slot on the system board. See Memory module installation rules. Ensure that you observe the installation rules and sequence.
- If you are going to install a DCPMM, refer to DC Persistent Memory Module (DCPMM) setup.NoteA DCPMM module looks slightly different from a DRAM DIMM in the illustration, but the installation method is the same.
To install a memory module, complete the following steps:
Watch the procedure
A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Open the retaining clips on each end of the memory module slot.AttentionTo avoid breaking the retaining clips or damaging the memory module slots, open and close the clips gently.
- Align the memory module with the slot, and gently place the memory module on the slot with both hands.
- Firmly press both ends of the memory module straight down into the slot until the retaining clips snap into the locked position.NoteIf there is a gap between the memory module and the retaining clips, the memory module has not been correctly inserted; open the retaining clips, remove the memory module, and then reinsert it.