Remove a serial port module
Use this information to remove a serial port module.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Disconnect the cable of the serial port module from the system board (system board assembly).
- Press the two latches on both ends at the same time, and carefully lift the riser cage out of the chassis by two latches.Figure 1. Removing the riser bracket
- Open the retention latch and remove the serial port module from the riser bracket.Figure 2. Removing the riser bracket
- Open the retention latch.
- Remove the serial port module from the riser bracket.
- (Optional) If you need to replace the serial port bracket, use a 5 mm wrench to disassemble the serial port cable from the bracket.Figure 3. Disassembling the serial port module
- Loosen the two screws.
- Pull out the serial port cable from the bracket.
After you finish
Install a new serial port module, a PCIe adapter, or a PCIe slot bracket to cover the place. See Install a serial port module and Install a PCIe adapter.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.