Remove the PIB
Follow instructions in this section to remove the PIB.
About this task
This task must be operated by trained technicians that are certified by Lenovo Service. Do no attempt to remove or install it without proper training and qualification.
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Make preparation for the task.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- If your server comes with an air baffle, remove it first. See Remove the air baffle.
- Pull out the power supplies slightly. Ensure that they are disconnected from the system board.
- Remove the system board assembly out of chassis. See Remove the system I/O board or processor board.
- Gently hold and slide the PIB out of the system board tray.Figure 1. PIB removal
- Loosen the two screws that secure the PIB.
- Pull out the PIB outward from the system board tray.
After you finish
If you are replacing a PIB, install a new PIB. See Install the PIB.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.