Remove an internal RAID/HBA/expander adapter
Follow instructions in this section to remove an internal CFF RAID adapter, internal CFF HBA adapter, or internal CFF RAID expander adapter.
About this task
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
Before you remove or make changes to drives, drive controllers (including controllers that are integrated on the system board assembly), drive backplanes or drive cables, back up all important data that is stored on drives.
Before you remove any component of a RAID array (drive, RAID card, etc.), back up all RAID configuration information.
- Make preparation for the task.
- If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack. See Remove the server from rack.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Remove the system fan cage. See Remove the system fan cage.
- Record the cable connections for cables from or crossing over the adapter; then, disconnect all the cables.Note
Figure 1. Disconnecting cables from the system board assembly
If you need to disconnect cables from the system board assembly, disengage all latches or release tabs on cable connectors first. Failing to release the tab before removing the cables will damage the cable sockets on the system board assembly. Any damage to the cable sockets might require replacing the processor board or system I/O board.
The connectors on your system board assembly might look different from those in the illustration, but the removal procedure is the same.
Press the release tab to release the connector.
Disengage the connector from the cable socket.
- Lift the blue touch point, slightly slide the adapter as shown, and carefully lift it out of the chassis.Figure 2. Removing the internal CFF adapter
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.