Install a memory module
Follow this procedure to install a memory module.
About this task
Ensure that you consider and follow the memory module installation rules when performing the operation, see Memory module installation rules.
Read Safety inspection checklist and Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Touch the static-protective package that contains the component to any unpainted metal surface on the server; then, remove it from the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
Always wear an electrostatic-discharge strap when removing or installing memory modules. Electrostatic-discharge gloves can also be used.
Keep each memory module separated from one another. Do not stack memory modules directly on top of each other during storage.
Keep the gold memory module connector contacts from touching anything.
Handle memory modules with care: never bend, twist, or drop a memory module.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
About this task
- Locate the memory module slots and determine memory module installation order based on Memory module installation rules.
- Make sure that both retaining clips on the memory module connector are in the open position.
- With the tip of a pointed tool, carefully press the retaining clips.
- Push the retaining clips outward on each end of the memory module slot.Figure 1. Opening the memory module retaining clips
- Align the memory module with the slot; then, press the memory module into the slot with even pressure on both ends of the memory module until the retaining clips snap into the locked position.NoteMake sure that the small tabs on the retaining clips engage with the notches on the memory module. If there is a gap between the memory module and the retaining clips, it indicates that the memory module has not been properly installed. Remove the memory module and reinstall it.Figure 2. Installing a memory module