Remove the M.2 cage and M.2 backplane (16-EDSFF chassis)
Use the information in this topic to remove the M.2 cage and M.2 backplane from the 16-EDSFF chassis.
About this task
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding systems.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Disconnect the cables routed to the M.2 backplane. See M.2 drive backplane for more details.
- Remove the M.2 cage from the chassis.Figure 1. M.2 cage removal
- Press down the blue touch point on release latch of the M.2 cage.
- Push the cage to the direction as shown to disengage the cage from the chassis.
- Remove the M.2 backplane from the M.2 cage.Figure 2. M.2 backplane removal
- Loosen the captive screw on the M.2 backplane.
- Slide the backplane out and take it out of the cage.
- Remove the M.2 drives if necessary, see Remove the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive.
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.