Remove the 2.5-inch rear drive backplane
Use this information to remove the 2.5-inch rear drive backplane.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding systems.
Watch the procedure
- A video of this procedure is available on YouTube.
- Prepare your server.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Remove all installed drives and fillers (if any) from the drive bays. See Remove a 2.5/3.5-inch hot-swap drive.
- Gently press and hold the tab on the rear hot-swap drive cage as shown and remove the air baffle from the rear hot-swap drive cage.Figure 1. Air baffle removal
- Press the tab on one side to disengage the air baffle.
- Lift the air baffle to remove it from drive cage.
- Record the cable connections for 2.5–inch rear drive and then disconnect all cables from the backplanes. For information about the backplane cable routing, see Internal cable routing.
- Carefully lift the 2.5-inch rear drive backplane out of the rear hot-swap drive cage.Figure 2. 2.5-inch rear drive backplane removal
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.