Remove the front 2.5-inch drive backplane
Use this information to remove the backplane for four, eight, or ten 2.5-inch hot-swap drives.
About this task
The following describes how to remove the backplane for ten 2.5-inch hot-swap drives. You can remove the backplane for four or eight 2.5-inch hot-swap drives in the same way.
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding systems.
- A video of this procedure is available on YouTube.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Remove all the installed drives and drive fillers from the drive bays. See Remove a 2.5/3.5-inch hot-swap drive.
- Disconnect the cables from the backplane. See Internal cable routing. If the cable connectors come with protective dust caps, make sure to put them back on.
- Grasp the backplane and carefully lift it out of the chassis.Figure 1. Removal of backplane for ten 2.5-inch hot-swap drives
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.