Install a PCIe adapter
Use this information to install a PCIe adapter.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the PCIe adapter to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the PCIe adapter out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Locate the correct PCIe slot for the PCIe adapter. For information about the PCIe slots and supported PCIe adapters, see Rear view.
- Install the PCIe adapter and secure it to the riser assembly.Figure 1. PCIe adapter installation into the LP-FH riser assembly
- Align the PCIe adapter with the PCIe slot on the riser card. Then, carefully press the PCIe adapter straight into the slot until it is securely seated and its bracket is secured.
- Rotate the latch on the riser bracket to closed position.
Ensure that PCIe adapter installation meets the rules in PCIe slots and adapters.
The procedure for installing a PCIe adapter is similar for different types of riser assembly. In this topic, the LP-FH riser assembly is used as an example.
- Connect cables to the PCIe adapter in the riser assembly. See Internal cable routing.
After you finish
Reinstall the riser assembly. See Install a riser card.
Complete the parts replacement. See Complete the parts replacement.