Remove the 7mm drive backplanes
Use this information to remove the 7mm drive backplanes.
About this task
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- Prepare your server.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Remove all installed drives and fillers from the drive bays. See Remove a 2.5-inch hot-swap drive.
- Record the cable connections for 7mm drives and then disconnect all cables from the backplanes. See Internal cable routing and 7mm drive backplane.If the cable connectors come with protective dust caps, make sure to remove them before plugging in.
- Remove the 7mm drive assembly from the rear chassis. See Remove the 2.5-inch rear drive assembly.
- Remove the 7mm drive backplane on the top. Figure 1. 7mm drive backplane removal (top)
- Remove the two screws as shown.
- Lift the top backplane up and put it aside.
- Remove the 7mm drive backplane at the bottom. Figure 2. 7mm drive backplane removal (bottom)
- Remove the screw as shown.
- Slide the bottom backplane out from the cage as shown.
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the old backplanes, follow all packaging instructions and use any packaging materials provided.