Install the 7mm drive cage
Use this information to install the rear 7mm drive cage.
About this task
Depending on server configuration, the server supports one of the following rear 7mm drive cages. This topic uses the 7mm drive cage 1 as an example for installation illustration. The installation procedure for the other one is similar.
|1 2FH+7mm SSD riser cage
|2 7mm SSD riser cage
Read Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
Read PCIe slots and PCIe adapters to ensure that you follow the installation rules for 7mm drive cages.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the new parts to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take them out of the package and place them on a static-protective surface.
- Install the 7mm drive backplane at the bottom.Figure 1. 7mm drive backplane installation (bottom)
- Align the notch at edge of the backplane with the pin on the cage, and slightly slide the backplane into the cage until it is fully seated.
- Install the screw to secure it.
- Install the 7mm drive backplane on the top.Figure 2. 7mm drive backplane installation (top)
- Align the holes in the backplane with the holes on the cage, and put the backplane down onto the cage.
- Install the two screws to secure the backplane in place.
- Connect the cables to the backplanes. See 7mm drives.
- Hook the securing clip over the riser adapter on the riser cage.Figure 3. 7mm drive cage securing clip installation
- Install the 7mm drive cage to the riser cage.Figure 4. 7mm drive cage installation
- Align the left-side pin on the 7mm drive cage with the positioning slot on the securing clip, the two holes on the side brackets of the 7mm drive cage with the two holes on the front of the riser cage.
- Install the two screws to secure the 7mm drive cage in place.
- Install the 7mm riser assembly to the riser slot on the system board. Figure 5. Riser assembly installation
- Align the riser assembly with the slot on the system board, lower and insert the riser into the riser slot.
- Tighten the screw to secure the riser assembly in place.
- Connect the cables from the backplanes to the system board. See 7mm drives.
- Install all the drives and fillers (if any) into the drive bays. See Install a hot-swap drive.