Remove a memory module
Follow instructions in this section to remove a memory module.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
- Memory modules are sensitive to static discharge and require special handling. Refer to the standard guidelines for Handling static-sensitive devices.
Always wear an electrostatic-discharge strap when removing or installing memory modules. Electrostatic-discharge gloves can also be used.
Never hold two or more memory modules together so that they do not touch each other. Do not stack memory modules directly on top of each other during storage.
Never touch the gold memory module connector contacts or allow these contacts to touch the outside of the memory module connector housing.
Handle memory modules with care: never bend, twist, or drop a memory module.
Do not use any metal tools (such as jigs or clamps) to handle the memory modules, because the rigid metals may damage the memory modules.
Do not insert memory modules while holding packages or passive components, which can cause package cracks or detachment of passive components by the high insertion force.
In the case of processor board replacement, keep records of the slots in which the modules are installed, and make sure to install them back to the exact same slots after processor board replacement.
If you are not installing a replacement memory module to the same slot, make sure you have memory module filler available.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Make preparation for the task.
- Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
- If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack. See Remove the server from rack.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Remove the air baffle. See Remove the air baffle.
- Locate the memory module slots and determine which memory module you want to remove from the server.
- Remove the memory module from the slot.AttentionTo avoid breaking the retaining clips or damaging the memory module slots, handle the clips gently.Figure 1. Removing the memory module
- Gently open the retaining clip on each end of the memory module slot.
- Grasp the memory module at both ends and carefully lift it out of the slot.
A memory module slot must be installed with a memory module or a memory module filler. See Install a memory module.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.