Install a memory module
Use this information to install a memory module.
About this task
See Memory module installation rules and order for detailed information about memory configuration and setup.
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
- Memory modules are sensitive to static discharge and require special handling. Refer to the standard guidelines for Handling static-sensitive devices:
Always wear an electrostatic-discharge strap when removing or installing memory modules. Electrostatic-discharge gloves can also be used.
Never hold two or more memory modules together so that they do not touch each other. Do not stack memory modules directly on top of each other during storage.
Never touch the gold memory module connector contacts or allow these contacts to touch the outside of the memory module connector housing.
Handle memory modules with care: never bend, twist, or drop a memory module.
Do not use any metal tools (such as jigs or clamps) to handle the memory modules, because the rigid metals may damage the memory modules.
Do not insert memory modules while holding packages or passive components, which can cause package cracks or detachment of passive components by the high insertion force.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the memory module to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the memory module out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Locate the required memory module slot on the system board.Note
Ensure that you observe the installation rules and sequence in Technical rules for memory modules.
- Install the memory module into the slot.Figure 1. Memory module installation
- Open the retaining clip on each end of the memory module slot.AttentionTo avoid breaking the retaining clips or damaging the memory module slots, open and close the clips gently.
- Align the memory module with the slot, and gently place the memory module on the slot with both hands.
- Firmly press both ends of the memory module straight down into the slot until the retaining clips snap into the locked position.NoteIf there is a gap between the memory module and the retaining clips, the memory module has not been correctly inserted. In this case, open the retaining clips, remove the memory module, and then reinsert it.
- Open the retaining clip on each end of the memory module slot.