Remove the 5.25-inch drive bay adapter assembly
Use this information to remove the 5.25-inch drive bay adapter assembly.
About this task
The power-control button on the device and the power switch on the power supply do not turn off the electrical current supplied to the device. The device also might have more than one power cord. To remove all electrical current from the device, ensure that all power cords are disconnected from the power source.
When laser products (such as CD-ROMs, DVD drives, fiber optic devices, or transmitters) are installed, note the following:
- Do not remove the covers. Removing the covers of the laser product could result in exposure to hazardous laser radiation. There are no serviceable parts inside the device.
- Use of controls or adjustments or performance of procedures other than those specified herein might result in hazardous radiation exposure.
This product contains a Class 1M laser. Do not view directly with optical instruments.
This section only applies to server models that come with a 5.25-inch drive bay adapter. For those that come with an optical or tape drive, see
Remove an optical drive or a tape drive.
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack.
- Disconnect every cable from the 5.25-inch drive bay adapter assembly.
- Remove the 5.25-inch drive bay adapter assembly.Figure 1. 5.25-inch drive bay adapter assembly removal
- Press and hold the release tab.
- Carefully pull the 5.25-inch drive bay adapter assembly at the same time to remove it from the chassis.
- Remove the slim optical drive out from the adapter.Figure 2. Removing slim optical drive from the drive bay adapter
- Remove the two screws that secure the slim optical drive.
- Slide the slim optical drive out from the adapter.