The following tools are available to help you diagnose and solve hardware-related problems.
Light path diagnostics
Use light path diagnostics to diagnose system errors quickly. For more information, see Light path diagnostics.
The event logs list the error codes and messages that are generated when an error is detected. For more information, see Event logs.
Integrated Management Module 2.1 (IMM2.1)
The Integrated Management Module 2.1 (IMM2.1) combines service processor functions, video controller, and remote presence and blue-screen capture features in a single chip. The IMM2.1 provides advanced service-processor control, monitoring, and alerting function. If an environmental condition exceeds a threshold or if a system component fails, the IMM2.1 lights LEDs to help you diagnose the problem, records the error in the IMM2.1 event log, and alerts you to the problem. Optionally, the IMM2.1 also provides a virtual presence capability for remote server management capabilities. The IMM2.1 provides remote server management through the following industry-standard interfaces:
- Intelligent Platform Management Protocol (IPMI) version 2.0
- Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) version 3
- Common Information Model (CIM)
- Web browser
For more information about the Integrated Management Module 2.1 (IMM2.1), see Using the Integrated Management Module 2.1 (IMM2.1), Integrated Management Module 2.1 (IMM2.1) error messages, and the Integrated Management Module II User's Guide at the Integrated Management Module II User's Guide website.
Dynamic System Analysis Preboot (DSA Preboot)
The DSA Preboot diagnostic program is stored in the integrated USB memory on the server. DSA Preboot collects and analyzes system information to aid in diagnosing server problems, as well as offering a rich set of diagnostic tests for the major server components. DSA Preboot collects the following information about the server:
- Drive health information
- IMM2.1 configuration information
- IMM2.1 environmental information
- Installed hardware, including PCI and USB information
- Light path diagnostics status
- Microprocessor, input/output hub, and UEFI error logs
- Network interfaces and settings
- Option card driver and firmware information
- RAID controller configuration
- Service processor (Integrated Management Module 2.1 (IMM2.1)) status and configuration
- System configuration
- Vital product data, firmware, and UEFI configuration
DSA Preboot also provides diagnostics for the following system components (when they are installed):
- Emulex Ethernet controller
- IMM2.1 I2C bus
- Light path diagnostics panel
- Memory modules
- Optical devices (CD or DVD)
- SAS or SATA drives
- LSI controller
- Broadcom Ethernet controller
- FusionIO storage
- Intel GPU
- NVIDIA GPU
For more information about running DSA Preboot on the server, see Running DSA Preboot diagnostic program.
You can also diagnose and solve problems by symptom. For more information, see Troubleshooting by symptom.
- Follow the suggested actions in the order in which they are listed in the Action column until the problem is solved.
- If an action step is preceded by '(Trained technician only)', that step must be performed only by a trained technician.
- Go to the Lenovo support Web site at the Lenovo Support Portal to check for technical information, hints, tips, and new device drivers or to submit a request for information.