Installing a DIMM
To install a DIMM, do the following:
- Turn off the server. Then, disconnect all external cables and remove all peripheral devices.
- Remove the server cover. See Removing the server cover.
- Remove the air baffle. See Removing the air baffle.
- Locate the DIMM slots on the system board. Then, refer to Unbuffered DIMMs (UDIMMs) and ensure that you observe the installation rules and sequence.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the DIMM to any unpainted metal surface on the outside of the server. Then, remove the DIMM from the package.
- Open the retaining clips 1 on each end of the DIMM slot. Then, install the DIMM into the slot.AttentionTo avoid breaking the retaining clips or damaging the DIMM slots, open and close the clips gently.Figure 1. DIMM installation
- Firmly press the DIMM straight down into the connector by applying pressure on both ends of the DIMM simultaneously. The retaining clips snap into the locked position when the DIMM is firmly seated in the connector. NoteIf there is a gap between the DIMM and the retaining clips, the DIMM has not been correctly inserted; open the retaining clips, remove the DIMM, and then reinsert it.
- Complete the parts replacement. See Completing the parts replacement.