Install the processor board
Follow instructions in this section to install the processor board.
About this task
A processor board provides different connectors or slots to connect different components or peripherals of the system for communication. The board and the supporting metal sheet constitute a base for the system board assembly. If the processor board fails, it must be replaced.
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding systems.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the system board assembly to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the processor board out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.Figure 1. The processor board
- Install the system I/O board, see Install the system I/O board.
- Install the Firmware and RoT Security Module, see Install the Firmware and RoT Security Module.
- Install the system board assembly to the server. Figure 2. System board assembly installation
- Hold the lift handle 1 and the release pin 2 at the same time to lower the system board assembly into the chassis.
- Slide the system board assembly to the rear of the server until the system board assembly snaps into position. Ensure that:
The rear connectors on the new system board assembly are inserted into the corresponding holes in the rear panel.
The release pin 2 secures the system board assembly in place.
After you finish
Properly route and secure the cables in the server. Refer to detailed cable routing information for each component in Internal cable routing.
Install the rear drive cage if you have removed it. See Install the 2.5-inch rear drive assembly.
Install the air baffle if you have removed it. See Install the air baffle.
Install the top cover. See Install the top cover.
Push the power supplies into the bays until they click into place.
Connect power cords to the server and turn on the server.
Update the Vital Product Data (VPD) of the system board assembly. See Update the Vital Product Data (VPD).
Optionally, enable Secure Boot. See Enable UEFI Secure Boot.