Install the M.2 adapter and M.2 drive
Use this information to install the M.2 adapter and M.2 drive.
Touch the static-protective package that contains the new M.2 adapter and M.2 drive to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the new M.2 adapter and M.2 drive out of the package and place them on a static-protective surface.
Adjust the retainer on the M.2 adapter to accommodate the particular size of the M.2 drive you wish to install. See Adjust the retainer on the M.2 adapter.
- Locate the M.2 drive slot on the M.2 adapter.Note
For some M.2 adapters that support two identical M.2 drives, install the M.2 drive in slot 0 first.Figure 1. M.2 drive slot
- 1 Slot 0
- 2 Slot 1
The M.2 adapter module is shipped with a loosen screw, but the screw is not necessarily used for the installation.
The M.2 adapter you want to install might be different from the following illustrations, but the installation method is the same.
Watch the procedure. A video of the installation and removal process is available at YouTube.
- Install the internal riser assembly and install the super capacitor modules on the M.2/riser support bracket. See Install a super capacitor module on the M.2/riser support bracket.
- Align the pins of the M.2 module bracket with the two holes on both sides of the M.2/riser support bracket, and then install the bracket on the super capacitor modules.Figure 2. M.2 module bracket installation
- Install the M.2 adapter into the bracket and tighten the screw.Figure 3. M.2 adapter installation
- Install the M.2 drive on the M.2 adapter.
Figure 4. M.2 drive installation
- Insert the M.2 drive at an angle of approximately 30 degrees into the connector.
- Rotate the M.2 drive down until the notch 1 catches on the lip of the retainer 2.
- Slide the retainer forward (toward the connector) to secure the M.2 drive into place.
Connect the cables of the M.2 adapter. See M.2 module cable routing.
- Complete the parts replacement. See Complete the parts replacement.
- Use the Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager to configure the RAID. For more information, see: Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager portal pageImportant
Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager (LXPM) supported version varies by product. All versions of Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager are referred to as Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager and LXPM in this document, unless specified otherwise. To see the LXPM version supported by your server, go to Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager portal page.