Remove a PCIe adapter
Follow instructions in this section to remove a PCIe adapter.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
Before you remove any component of a RAID array (drive, RAID card, etc.), back up all RAID configuration information.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Make preparation for the task.
- If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack. See Remove the server from rack.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Remove the riser assembly. See Remove a riser assembly.
- Remove the PCIe adapter from the riser assembly.Figure 1. Removing the PCIe adapter from riser 1 or 2 assembly
- Press the retainer clip downward.
- Rotate the PCIe adapter retention latch to the open position.
- Grasp the PCIe adapter by its edges and carefully pull it out of the PCIe slot.
- (Optional) If you are replacing the riser card, remove the riser card from the riser cage.Figure 2. Removing riser card 1 (same for riser card 2)
- Loosen the screws that secure the riser card.
- Grasp the riser card by its edges and carefully take it out of the riser bracket in the shown direction.
After you finish
Install a new PCIe adapter to the riser assembly. See Install a PCIe adapter.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.