Remove a rear riser assembly
Follow instructions in this section to remove a rear riser assembly.
About this task
The server supports different types of riser cages (see Table 1). This topic uses the 3FH riser 1 cage and Gen 4 riser 3 cage as an example for illustration. The replacement procedure is the same for other riser cages.
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
Before you remove any component of a RAID array (drive, RAID card, etc.), back up all RAID configuration information.
- Make preparation for the task.
- If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack. See Remove the server from rack.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- If there is any PCIe adapter installed on the riser card, record the cable connections first. Then, disconnect all cables from the PCIe adapter.
- Remove the riser assembly.
Riser 1 assembly (same for riser 2 assembly)Figure 1. Removing the riser 1 assembly
- Loosen the screw that secures the riser assembly.
- Grasp the riser assembly by its edges and carefully lift it straight up and off the chassis.
Riser 3 assembly
Grasp the riser assembly by its edges and carefully lift it straight up and off the chassis.Figure 2. Removing the riser 3 assembly
4LP riser 3/4 assembly
Remove riser 3 assembly and riser 4 assembly.Figure 3. Removing the riser 3/4 assembly
Remove the riser cage tray.Figure 4. Removing the riser cage tray
Remove the screws that secure the riser cage tray.
Slide the riser cage tray backwards and then lift it out the chassis.
After you finish
Remove the PCIe adapter from the riser assembly. See Remove a rear PCIe adapter.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.