Install a tape drive
Use this information to install a tape drive.
About this task
To avoid potential danger, read and follow the following safety statements.
- S002CAUTIONThe power-control button on the device and the power switch on the power supply do not turn off the electrical current supplied to the device. The device also might have more than one power cord. To remove all electrical current from the device, ensure that all power cords are disconnected from the power source.
- S006CAUTIONWhen laser products (such as CD-ROMs, DVD drives, fiber optic devices, or transmitters) are installed, note the following:
- Do not remove the covers. Removing the covers of the laser product could result in exposure to hazardous laser radiation. There are no serviceable parts inside the device.
- Use of controls or adjustments or performance of procedures other than those specified herein might result in hazardous radiation exposure.
Read the Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Touch the static-protective package that contains the component to any unpainted metal surface on the server; then, remove it from the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
To install a tape drive, complete the following steps:
- The tape drive must be installed into the lower optical drive bay. If a filler is installed in the drive bay, remove it first. Keep the drive filler in a safe place for future use.
- Insert the tape drive into the lower drive bay, and slide it in until it is obstructed. Gently pull the metal tab on the side of the chassis, and then continue to slide the tape drive in until it snaps into place.Figure 1. Installing a tape drive
- Connect the power and signal cables to the rear of the tape drive. See Optical/tape drives.