Install an optical drive
Use this information to install an optical drive.
About this task
To avoid potential danger, read and follow the following safety statements.
- S002CAUTIONThe power-control button on the device and the power switch on the power supply do not turn off the electrical current supplied to the device. The device also might have more than one power cord. To remove all electrical current from the device, ensure that all power cords are disconnected from the power source.
- S006CAUTIONWhen laser products (such as CD-ROMs, DVD drives, fiber optic devices, or transmitters) are installed, note the following:
- Do not remove the covers. Removing the covers of the laser product could result in exposure to hazardous laser radiation. There are no serviceable parts inside the device.
- Use of controls or adjustments or performance of procedures other than those specified herein might result in hazardous radiation exposure.
Read the Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Touch the static-protective package that contains the component to any unpainted metal surface on the server; then, remove it from the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
To install an optical drive, complete the following steps:
- If necessary, remove the plastic bay filler from the optical drive bay.
Figure 1. Removing the plastic bay filler from the optical drive bay
- Press the tabs on the side of the plastic bay filler of the optical drive bay.
- Remove the drive bay filler as shown.
- If necessary, insert two of your fingers into the holes in the EMI shield and carefully pull the EMI shield out of the chassis.Figure 2. Removing the EMI shield from the optical drive bay
- Gently pull the metal tab on the side of the chassis, and insert the optical drive into the optical drive bay.
- Release the tab and keep sliding the optical drive until it snaps into place.Figure 3. Installing an optical drive
- Connect the power cable and the signal cable to the rear of the optical drive. See Optical/tape drives.
- Save the removed EMI-protective shield from the chassis and the plastic bay filler from the front bezel for future use.