Install a simple-swap drive
Use this information to install a simple-swap drive.
About this task
- S002CAUTIONThe power-control button on the device and the power switch on the power supply do not turn off the electrical current supplied to the device. The device also might have more than one power cord. To remove all electrical current from the device, ensure that all power cords are disconnected from the power source.
Read the Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Touch the static-protective package that contains the component to any unpainted metal surface on the server; then, remove it from the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
To avoid damage to the drive connectors, make sure that the server top cover is in place and fully closed whenever you install or remove a simple-swap drive.
To make sure that there is adequate system cooling, do not operate the server for more than two minutes without either a drive or a filler installed in each bay.
Before you remove or make changes to drives, drive controllers (including controllers that are integrated on the system board), drive backplanes or drive cables, back up all important data that is stored on drives.
If an NVMe drive is to be removed, it is recommended to disable it beforehand via the operating system.
Before you remove any component of a RAID array (drive, RAID card, etc.), back up all RAID configuration information.
The following notes describe the type of drives that your server supports and other information that you must consider when you install a drive.
Locate the documentation that comes with the drive and follow those instructions in addition to the instructions in this chapter.
- Depending on your server models, your server supports the following drive types:
Up to four 3.5-inch simple-swap SATA drives
Up to three 3.5-inch simple-swap SATA drives and one NVMe drive
For a complete list of supported drives and optional devices for the server, see: Lenovo ServerProven website
The drive bays are numbered to indicate the installation order (starting from number “0”). Follow the installation order when you install a drive. See Front view.
The drives in a single RAID array must be the same type, same size, and same capacity.
- If the drive bay has a drive filler installed, remove it. Keep the drive filler in a safe place for future use.
- Ensure that the drive tray handle is in the open position. Align the drive with the guide rails in the bay; then, gently push the drive into the bay until the drive stops.
- Rotate the drive handle to the fully closed position to lock the drive in place.Figure 1. Installing the simple-swap drive