Install an optical drive
Follow this procedure to install an optical drive.
The power-control button on the device and the power switch on the power supply do not turn off the electrical current supplied to the device. The device also might have more than one power cord. To remove all electrical current from the device, ensure that all power cords are disconnected from the power source.
When laser products (such as CD-ROMs, DVD drives, fiber optic devices, or transmitters) are installed, note the following:
- Do not remove the covers. Removing the covers of the laser product could result in exposure to hazardous laser radiation. There are no serviceable parts inside the device.
- Use of controls or adjustments or performance of procedures other than those specified herein might result in hazardous radiation exposure.
About this task
Read Safety inspection checklist and Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Touch the static-protective package that contains the component to any unpainted metal surface on the server; then, remove it from the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
Watch the procedure
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- If the optical drive bay shield is installed on the front bezel, remove it from the front bezel. To remove the front bezel, see Remove the front bezel.
- Press the release tab on top of the drive bay shield.
- Rotate the drive bay shield and remove it from the front bezel.Figure 1. Removing the optical drive bay shield
- (Optional) Install the optical drive retainer.
- Align the pin on the bottom of the retainer and the corresponding slot on the optical drive, then insert the pin into the slot.
- Insert the rest two pins on retainer to the corresponding slots on the optical drive.Figure 2. Installing the retainer to the optical drive
- (Optional) Align the optical drive bezel with the slots on the optical drive; then, insert the bezel into the optical drive.Figure 3. Installing the optical drive bezel
- Install the optical drive.
- From outside of the chassis, insert the optical drive into the chassis.
- Slide the optical drive inward until the latch snaps into place.Figure 4. Installing the optical drive
- Connect the signal and power cable to the system board, see Internal cable routing.