Remove the optical drive cage
Follow this procedure to remove the optical drive cage.
The power-control button on the device and the power switch on the power supply do not turn off the electrical current supplied to the device. The device also might have more than one power cord. To remove all electrical current from the device, ensure that all power cords are disconnected from the power source.
About this task
Read Safety inspection checklist and Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and all external cables, see Power off the server.
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack. See Remove the server from the rails.
Remove any locking device that secures the server, such as a Kensington lock or a padlock.
Place the server on its side with the cover up.
Watch the procedure
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Make preparation for this task.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.Note
The heat sink and processor could be very hot. To avoid burning yourself, wait for a few minutes after turning off the server before you remove the server cover.
- If applicable, remove the optical drive, see Remove an optical drive.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.
- Remove the optical drive cage from the chassis.
- Rotate the handle on the optical drive cage.
- Lift the optical drive cage out from the chassis.Figure 1. Removing the optical drive cage