Remove a simple-swap drive (bay 1-2)
Follow this procedure to remove a simple-swap drive from bay 1 or bay 2.
About this task
Turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and all external cables, see Power off the server.
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack. See Remove the server from the rails.
Remove any locking device that secures the server, such as a Kensington lock or a padlock.
Place the server on its side with the cover up.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Make preparation for this task.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.AttentionThe heat sink and processor could be very hot. To avoid burning yourself, wait for a few minutes after turning off the server before you remove the server cover.
- Remove the server cover, see Remove the server cover.
- Disconnect every cable from the drive assembly.
- Remove the simple-swap drive assembly.
Remove the simple-swap drive assembly from drive bay 1Grasp the retainer handle, and lift the drive assembly out of the drive bay.Figure 1. Removing drive assembly from drive bay 1
Remove the simple-swap drive assembly from drive bay 2
- Pinch the retainer handles.
- Lift the drive assembly out from the drive bay.Figure 2. Removing drive assembly from drive bay 2
- If necessary, remove the drive from the retainer. Tear both sides of the retainer apart, and remove the drive.Remove a 3.5-inch drive from the retainerFigure 3. Removing a 3.5-inch drive from the retainerNote
Depending on the configuration, the 3.5-inch drive may be the model in the illustration below.Remove a 2.5-inch drive from the retainerFigure 4. Removing a 2.5-inch drive from the retainer