Install a 2.5/3.5-inch hot-swap drive
Use this information to install a hot-swap drive.
About this task
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the drive to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the drive out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.Note
Ensure that drive installation meets Technical rules for drives.
- Remove the drive filler from the drive bay and keep the drive filler in a safe place.Figure 1. Drive filler removal
- Install the drive in the drive bay.Figure 2. Hot-swap drive installation
- Ensure that the drive tray handle is in the open position. Slide the drive into the drive bay until it snaps into position.
- Close the drive tray handle to lock the drive in place.
- Check the drive LEDs to verify that the drive is operating correctly. For details, see Drive LEDs.
- Continue to install additional hot-swap drives if necessary.
After you finish
Use the Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager to configure the RAID if necessary. For more information, see: Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager portal page
If you have installed U.3 NVMe drives on a 2.5-inch AnyBay 8-bay backplane for Tri-mode, enable U.3 x1 mode for the selected drive slots on the backplane through the XCC Web GUI.
Log into the XCC Web GUI, and choosefrom the navigation tree on the left.
In the window that is displayed, click the icon next to Backplane.
In the dialog box that is displayed, select the target drive slots and click Apply.
Do a DC power cycle to make the setting take effect.