Install the front 2.5'' drive backplane
Use this information to install the backplane for four, eight, or ten 2.5'' hot-swap drives.
About this task
The following describes how to install the backplane for ten 2.5'' hot-swap drives. You can install the backplane for four or eight 2.5'' hot-swap drives in the same way.
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the backplane to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. And then, take the backplane out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Align the two pins on the backplane with the corresponding holes in the chassis.Figure 1. Installation of backplane for ten 2.5'' hot-swap drives
- Lower the backplane into the chassis. Ensure that the pins pass through the holes and the backplane is fully seated in place.
- Connect the cables to the backplane. See Internal cable routing. If the cable connectors come with protective dust caps, make sure to remove them before plugging in.
After you finish
Reinstall all the drives and drive fillers into the drive bays. See Install a 2.5''/3.5'' hot-swap drive.
Complete the parts replacement. See Complete the parts replacement.