Install the middle 2.5-inch drive cage
Use this information to install the middle 2.5-inch drive bay.
The middle drive cage is supported on some server models at certain conditions. For detailed information, see Drive bay configurations and requirements.
- The middle drive cage kit comes with an air baffle, 1U performance heat sink, and performance system fans (speed of 29000 RPM). If the air baffle, heat sink, and system fans of your server differ from those in the kit, replace them.
To install the middle drive cage, complete the following steps:
- Connect cables to the backplane.
- Install the backplane on the middle drive cage.
Figure 1. Installing the backplane
- Align the bottom of the backplane with the studs at the bottom of the drive cage.
- Rotate the backplane to vertical position so that the holes in the backplane pass through the pins on the drive cage, and press the backplane into position. The release latches will secure the backplane in place.
- Install the middle drive cage onto chassis.
Figure 2. Installing the middle 2.5-inch drive cage
- Put the rear pins into the chassis slots.
- Rotate the front of the drive cage down into place.
- Install drives into the middle drive cage. See Install a hot-swap drive.NoteFor an NVMe backplane, only 7 mm NVMe drives (installed in 15 mm-height drive trays) are supported, 15 mm NVMe drives not supported.Figure 3. Installing drives into the drive cage
- Close the drive cage handle.
Figure 4. Closing the cage handle
- Press the latch as shown.
- Rotate the handle to close it.
- Connect cables from the backplanes to a RAID/HBA adapter. See Internal cable routing.