Install the M.2 adapter and M.2 drive
Use this information to install the M.2 adapter and M.2 drive.
Before installing the M.2 adapter and M.2 drive:
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the new M.2 adapter and M.2 drive to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the new M.2 adapter and M.2 drive out of the package and place them on a static-protective surface.Note
The M.2 adapter is shipped with a loosen screw, but the screw is not necessarily used for the installation.
The M.2 adapter you want to install might be different from the following illustrations, but the installation method is the same.
Adjust the retainer on the M.2 adapter to accommodate the particular size of the M.2 drive you wish to install. See Adjust the retainer on the M.2 adapter.
- Locate the connector on the M.2 adapter.Note
Some M.2 adapters support two identical M.2 drives. Install the M.2 drive in slot 0 first.Figure 1. M.2 drive slot
- 1 Slot 0
- 2 Slot 1
To install the M.2 adapter and M.2 drive, complete the following steps:
Watch the procedure. A video of the installation and removal process is available at YouTube
- Install the M.2/riser support bracket and install the super capacitor modules on it. See Install a super capacitor module on the internal riser kit.
- Align the pins of the M.2 bracket with the two holes on both sides of the M.2/riser support bracket, and then install the M.2 bracket on the super capacitor modules.Figure 2. M.2 bracket installation
- Install the M.2 adapter into the M.2 bracket and tighten the screw.Figure 3. M.2 adapter installation
- Install the M.2 drive on the M.2 adapter.
Figure 4. M.2 drive installation
- Insert the M.2 drive at an angle of approximately 30 degrees into the connector.
- Rotate the M.2 drive down until the notch 1 catches on the lip of the retainer 2.
- Slide the retainer forward (toward the connector) to secure the M.2 drive into place.
- Connect the cables to the system board. See M.2 drives.