Remove a PCIe retainer
Follow instructions in this section to remove a PCIe retainer.
About this task
- Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
- Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
- If the server is installed in a rack, remove it from the rack. See Remove the server from rails.
- Make preparation for this task.
- Remove the front top cover. See Remove the front top cover.
- Remove the rear top cover. See Remove the rear top cover.
- Remove the PCIe riser where the PCIe retainer has been installed. See Remove a PCIe riser.
- Remove the 7mm drives and the drive cage if necessary. See Remove a 7mm drive and Remove the 7mm drive cage.
- Remove the serial port module if necessary. See Remove the serial port module.
- Remove all of the PCIe adapters or GPU adapters. See Remove a PCIe adapter or Remove a GPU adapter.
- Remove the PCIe retainer.
- Remove the three screws from the PCIe retainer.
- Remove the PCIe retainer from the PCIe riser card.Figure 1. PCIe retainer removalNoteThe PCIe riser might look different from the illustration.
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.