Install a FL GPU adapter
Follow the instructions in this section to install a full-length (FL) GPU adapter.
About this task
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task. See Power off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
Depending on the specific type, the full-length GPU adapter might look different from the illustration in this topic.
Use any documentation that comes with the full-length GPU adapter and follow those instructions in addition to the instructions in this topic.
- To prevent potential thermal issues, change the Misc setting in the BIOS from Option3 (default value) to Option1 if the following two conditions are met:
The server is equipped with a GPU adapter.
The UEFI firmware version is ESE122T or later.
Follow the installation sequence: slot 1 >> 3 >> 7 >> 5
One or two FL PCIe adapter holders are required to have been installed corresponding to the PCIe slot(s) for the FL GPU adapter(s) to be installed. See GPU installation rules.
When there is only one FL GPU installed between PCIe slots 1 and 4 or between slots 5 and 8, one or two FL GPU fillers are required to be installed on the air baffle on the same side of the FL GPU for proper cooling and airflow.
- Make preparations for this task.
- If necessary, route the power cable for the FL GPU adapter.
- Remove all the fan modules and fan filler. See Remove a fan module.AttentionAll fan modules must be removed from the fan cage when handling the fan cage assembly.
- Remove the fan cage assembly. See Remove the fan cage assembly.
- Connect the power cable to the power distribution board; then, route the power cable and secure it under the clip. See GPU cable routing.
- Reinstall the fan cage assembly. See Install the fan cage assembly.
- Reinstall all the fan modules (and fan filler, if necessary). See Install a fan module.
- Remove all the fan modules and fan filler. See Remove a fan module.
- If a bracket has been installed in the PCIe slot, remove it. Store the bracket for the PCIe slot in case it should be needed later.
- Install the FL GPU adapter.NoteMake sure the PCIe adapter retainer is in the opened position.
- Connect the power cable to the FL GPU adapter.
- Align the FL GPU adapter to the FL PCIe adapter holder and the PCIe slot; then, gently press both ends of the FL GPU adapter until it is securely seated in the PCIe slot.
- Tighten the screw to secure the GPU adapter.
- Close the PCIe adapter retainer.Figure 1. Installation of a FL GPU adapter
After you finish
For proper cooling and airflow, install a FL GPU filler as necessary. See Install a FL GPU filler.NoteWhen there is only one FL GPU installed between PCIe slots 1 and 4 or between slots 5 and 8, one or two FL GPU fillers are required to be installed on the air baffle on the same side of the FL GPU for proper cooling and airflow.
Reinstall the air baffle. See Install an air baffle.
Reinstall all the flash power modules, if necessary. See Install a flash power module.
Reinstall the server cover. See Install a server cover.
Complete the parts replacement. See Complete the parts replacement.