Replacing simple-swap hard disk drives
Use this information to replace simple-swap hard disk drives.
You must turn off the server before installing simple-swap drives in the server. Before you install a simple-swap SATA hard disk drive, read the following information. For a list of supported hard disk drives, see Lenovo ServerProven website.
- Locate the documentation that comes with the hard disk drive and follow those instructions in addition to the instructions in this chapter.
- Make sure that you have all the cables and other equipment that are specified in the documentation that comes with the drive.
- Select the bay in which you want to install the drive.
- Check the instructions that come with the drive to determine whether you have to set any switches or jumpers on the drive. If you are installing a SATA device, be sure to set the SATA ID for that device.
- You can install up to three 3.5-inch simple-swap SATA hard disk drives in the server. Do not install hot-swap drives into a simple-swap server model, it is not supported.
- You can install one 2.5-inch simple-swap SATA hard disk drives in bay 0 in the server. Do not install hot-swap drives into a simple-swap server model, it is not supported.
- The simple-swap server models are available only in non-RAID configurations.
- The electromagnetic interference (EMI) integrity and cooling of the server are protected by having all bays and PCI and PCI Express slots covered or occupied. When you install a drive, PCI, or PCI Express adapter, save the EMC shield and filler panel from the bay or PCI or PCI Express adapter slot cover in the event that you later remove the device.
To install a simple-swap hard disk drive, complete the following steps:
- Read the safety information that begins on Safety and Installation guidelines.
- Turn off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables.
- Remove the filler panel from the empty drive bay.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the drive to any unpainted metal surface on the server; then, remove the drive from the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Install the hard disk drive in the drive bay:
- Grasp the black drive handle and slide the blue release latch to the right and align the drive assembly with the guide rails in the bay.Figure 1. 2.5-inch simple-swap hard disk drive installationFigure 2. 3.5-inch simple-swap hard disk drive installation
- Gently push the drive into the bay until the drive stops.
- Grasp the black drive handle and slide the blue release latch to the right and align the drive assembly with the guide rails in the bay.
- Reinstall the drive bay filler panel that you removed earlier.
- If you are installing additional simple-swap hard disk drives, do so now.
- Turn on the peripheral devices and the server.