Replacing the dual-port network adapter
You can purchase one of the following dual-port network adapters to add two additional network ports in the server.
To order a dual-port network adapter option, contact your sales representative or reseller.
|Dual-port network adapter
|Option part number
|FRU part number
|Mellanox ConnectX-3 dual-port QDR/FDR10 mezz card
|Qlogic dual-port 10GbE SFP+ Embedded VFA
|Six fans installed required1
|Emulex dual-port 10GbE SFP+ Embedded VFA III
|Dual-port FDR embedded adapter
|Broadcom dual port 10GbE SFP+ embedded adapter for System x
|Six fans installed required1
The following notes describe the types of adapters that the server supports and other information that you must consider when you install an adapter:
- To configure network adapters, complete the following steps:
- From the Setup utility main menu (see Using the Setup utility), select .
- From the NoteYou might need to enter each item (displaying MAC address) to see detailed information., select one network adapter.
- Press Enter to configure the network adapter settings.
- To convert the NIC/iSCSI/FCoE for Emulex Dual Port 10GbE SFP+ Embedded VFA III, complete the following steps:
- From the Setup utility main menu (see Using the Setup utility), select and press Enter.
- From the NoteYou might need to enter each item (displaying MAC address) to see detailed information., select Emulex network adapter.
- Press Enter to configure Emulex network adapter, select
and press Enter to change the settings.
- iSCSI (enabled after FoD installed)
- FCoE (enabled after FoD installed)
- To download the latest version of drivers for iSCSI and FCoE from the website, complete the following steps:
NoteChanges are made periodically to the website. The actual procedure might vary slightly from what is described in this document.
- Go to the Fix Central website.
- Click .
- From the menu, select your operating system, and then click to display the available drivers.
- Download the latest version of drivers.
- Emulex iSCSI Device Driver for Windows 2008
- Emulex FCoE Device Driver for Windows 2008
- Port 0 on the Emulex Dual Port 10GbE SFP+ Embedded VFA III can be configured as shared system management.
- When the server is in standby mode, both ports on the Emulex Dual Port 10GbE SFP+ Embedded VFA III function at 100M connection speed with Wake on LAN feature.
The Emulex Dual Port 10GbE SFP+ Embedded VFA III is automatically disabled if one of the following errors occurs:
- An error log indicates a temperature warning for the Ethernet adapter.
- All power supplies are removed or the server is disconnected from the power source.
To install the dual-port network adapter, complete the following steps:
- Read the safety information that begins on Safety and Installation guidelines.
- Turn off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables, if necessary.
- Remove the cover (see Removing the cover).
- Remove the PCI riser-card assembly (if installed) from PCI riser connector 2 (see Removing a PCI riser-card assembly).
- Remove the adapter filler panel on the rear of the chassis (if it has not been removed already).Figure 1. Adapter filler panel removal
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the new adapter to any unpainted metal surface on the server. Then, remove the adapter from the package.
- Align the adapter so that the port connectors on the adapter line up with the pin and thumbscrew on the chassis; then, align the connector of the adapter with the adapter connector on the system board.Figure 2. Network adapter installation
- Press the adapter firmly until the pin, and retention brackets engage the adapter. Make sure the adapter is securely seated on the connector on the system board. AttentionMake sure the port connectors on the adapter are aligned properly with the chassis on the rear of the server. An incorrectly seated adapter might cause damage to the system board or the adapter.
- Fasten the thumbscrew on the rear side of the chassis.Figure 3. Screws engagement
- Fasten the two captive screws on the network adapter.
- Reinstall the PCI riser-card assembly in PCI riser connector 2 if you have removed it previously (see Replacing a PCI riser-card assembly).
- Replace the cover (see Replacing the cover).
- Slide the server into the rack.
- Reconnect the power cords and any cables that you removed.
- Turn on the peripheral devices and the server.