Removing simple-swap hard disk drives
Use this information to remove simple-swap hard disk drives.
You must turn off the server before removing simple-swap drives from the server. To remove a simple-swap SATA hard disk drive, complete the following steps.
- To avoid damage to the hard disk drive connectors, make sure that the server cover is in place and fully closed whenever you install or remove a hard disk drive.
- To make sure that there is adequate system cooling, do not operate the server for more than 2 minutes without either a hard disk drive or a filler panel installed in each bay.
- Read the safety information that begins on Safety and Installation guidelines.
- Turn off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables.
- Slide the blue release latch to the right with one finger (to release the drive) while using another finger to grasp the black drive handle and pull the hard disk drive out of the drive bay. Figure 1. 2.5-inch simple-swap hard disk drive removalFigure 2. 3.5-inch simple-swap hard disk drive removal
- Reinstall the drive bay filler panel that you removed earlier.
- If you are instructed to return the drive assembly, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.