Removing hot-swap hard disk drives
Use this information to remove hot-swap hard disk drives.
- To avoid damage to the hard disk drive connectors, make sure that the server cover is in place and fully closed whenever you install or remove a hard disk drive.
- To make sure that there is adequate system cooling, do not operate the server for more than 2 minutes without either a hard disk drive or a filler panel installed in each bay.
- Before you make changes to disk drives, disk drive controllers (including controllers that are integrated on the system board), disk drive backplanes, or disk drive cables, back up all important data that is stored on hard disks.
- Before you remove any component of a RAID array, back up all RAID configuration information.
To remove a hot-swap hard disk drive, complete the following steps.
- Read the safety information that begins on Safety and Installation guidelines.
- Make sure you save the data on your drive, especially if it is part of a RAID array, before you remove it from the server.
- Slide the release latch (orange) gently to the left to unlock the drive handle.Figure 1. Hot-swap hard disk drives removal
- Grasp the handle and slide the drive out of the drive bay.
- Reinstall the drive bay filler panel.
- If you are instructed to return the drive assembly, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.